Previous Articles Review & Posts

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Place of peace or "war zone"?

At the time of writing I only have 5 sleeps to go and can't wait to get on the plane.

A great reminder today that we are heading off to a third world nation still struggling to find a democratic balance after abolishing their monarchy (take note John Key and all you republicans out there). On Sunday the "Maoist" president decided to fire the army chief and announce it to the nation. However with the the farcical way politics work in Nepal the Army chief comes under the control of the Prime Minister who comes from the "Nepali Congress Party" and he immediately reinstated him so now the nation goes on high alert with riot police dispatched to guard the city while there is yet another power struggle. One of the other key political parties appears to have withdrawn from the process throwing the coalition government into disarray so who knows - we might have a few good old fashioned street riots on our hands.

To view the NZ Herald article click here

The reality is that it is most likely perfectly safe (a bit like Fiji really) and the media found another opportunity to create a bit of hype. I have never believed in mixing sport and politics anyway so aim to keep well out of any hot spots, spend a few days at the Orphan Help Centre to see where the money we raised last year is being spent and more importantly spend some fantastic time with the kids before heading off up into the mountains with Rod and the competitors in the Tenzing Hillary marathon for some much needed acclimatisation. One way or another there should be some spectacular photos coming home with me.

Many thanks to all of you who have supported and encouraged me while preparing for this event and trip with special mentions to Bec's Forlong from "Performance Massage" in Ellerslie and all the team at 1RM Physio in Penrose for helping keep my failing body on the road. Also to all of you who came to the fundraising night at College Rifles where we raised $20,000. My brother Rod who has been a great motivation in keeping me running (I still can't keep up with him) and is now joining me for the first few days of the trek which will be fantastic.

Also many thanks to Wendy Chrisp for all the advice she has given me in preparing for the upcoming Tenzing Hillary Everest Marathon. Wendy is an extraordinary endurance coach and amazing athlete in her own right and took the time out to fill me in on all the little things that will make the big differences competing at altitude in a third world country. She completed the Tenzing Hillary marathon in 2005.

One more special mention to my staff at TechRentals and Bearcom who have put up with me while I have been training especially to Neerja Mahendra who has offered fantastic advice on the Indian leg of my journey and also made family introductions for when I am in Delhi.

The Global Corporate Challenge begins while I am trekking so my "step count" better be right up there with the top guys at work or I will never live it down.

I can't help but feel under prepared physically but with all the advice I have received, commitment to achieving the goal and sheer stubbornness that has seen me through many trying times I know that it will be the mental side that will win through and get me over the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment