Previous Articles Review & Posts

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Xterra - Off Road Half Marathon Rotorua




Well once again the Xterra team has put on an exceptional event!

This has to be one of the premier events in the NZ off road & triathlon calendar!

Before I go into my event I must give credit to the amazing effort that the team and sponsors that put this event together (especially Hellman Worldwide Logistics the major sponsors of the event) and urge you all to support those businesses that continue to support these events and causes in trying times!


Held around the Blue and Green Lakes just out of the Rotorua township the setting is spectacular. For families there can be no better event for introducing this type of sport to the wives/partners and children. There are a range of events suitable for all sorts from walkers to runners, mountain bikers and the true athletes that encompass all - the Triathletes.



At the start line there is a veritable village of sponsors, supporters and activities (including a fantastic children's area this year) where there is all ways opportunity to feel involved or absorbed in the event at some level.

Leading into the event my training wheels had continued to fall off with work being all consuming and an increase in the niggles that have been plaguing me (maybe because I haven't been training as much I am thinking now).

After a leisurely drive down from Auckland the night before we awoke to a perfect day for the event. Slightly overcast but very still so just enough warmth in the day to function at optimum (for those in good shape). Ironically I was in probably the worst condition I have been in in nearly 12 months. I had an awful sleep and woke with chronic back pain and stabbing pain right down through my sciatic nerve on my right hand side which meant I could hardly even get my socks & shoes on!

Never one to grumble too much I popped a couple of runners friends (Voltaren) and struggled down to the start line.

I had come down with my partner Anna, brother Rod, sister in law Lisa and friends Jeremy & Anna all of whom had entered the event (except Anna who fully deserved a sleep in after a week of looking after 4 kids). Anna & Lisa ran the 11km Blue Lake Loop and knocked close to 10mins off their time from the previous year which was a great achievement.

With my sciatic nerve issues I found it incredibly frustrating. I felt I had the gas in the tank but could never seem to stretch it out and get any pace so was reduced to what felt like an old mans shuffle for the entire race

Rod and Jeremy strode off into the distance and Rod powered on over the latter stages of the race to come in in 1hr 44mins which was three mins faster than his time last year and Jeremy also made a great improvement on last years time to come in in 1hr 48 mins.

The course follows a number of forestry trails and roads around the lakes and is fairly gentle until you turn away from the Green lake (about 12km into it) to start heading back towards the start. Then there are some great challenging hills and rises right the way to the last 2km which is hard and fast and mostly down hill.



I usually make up a lot of ground on the down hills throwing caution to the wind but not today! I hobbled around in what I still felt was a respectable 1hr 56 mins (10 mins slower than last year). Considering the state I was in prior to the event I was very happy with the result and it reaffirmed my belief that I can push through the pain barrier on Everest in a few weeks time when (not if) it all turns to crap and my body starts telling me no more!

The other reason for heading down for the weekend was Rod's 40th Birthday for which we had a practice run and a few quiets on the Saturday night which was fantastic especially watching Rod thrash out a few "Tunes" on his new guitar - can't wait for you to get a couple of lessons though Bro!

Another leisurely drive home and a stop off at the legendary Okaroire Country Hotel for probably the best pub lunch on the planet and a soak in the thermal pool topped off a fantastic weekend.

With only a couple of weeks until I fly out I will give a brief update on the body and conditions in Nepal very soon.

Thanks to all

2 comments:

  1. Hi Glen,
    I have just recived an email from a freind/group who are walking the base camp trek in Oct 2009. I was also passed your link.
    I ran the Everest Marathon in 2007 and want to wish you all the best for your adventure ahead. Hope you stay fit and healthy till the start line, it's an adventure race just to get there...
    One bit of advice for you though is take your time for the first half then give it your all for the second half, as this is when the fun starts.
    It's a pleasure to run the most spectaculer marathon in the world, so enjoy and leave a pice of your Heart there, as all of the 2007 marathoners did.
    good luck...
    Harry Escott

    ReplyDelete